New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE)
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) and the Evaluation Systems group of Pearson are seeking candidates who meet the qualifications indicated below to participate in a field test of items that may appear on future NYSTCE test forms. Field test participants will receive incentives upon verification of participation.
Eligibility Requirements for Participation
Participants may only take field tests for which they are qualified. To be qualified to take this field test, participants must meet at least one of the following eligibility requirements:
School Building Leader Field Tests:
- You must be enrolled or recently enrolled in an educational leadership preparation program in New York.
Arts and Languages Field Tests:
- You must be a junior, senior, or graduate student enrolled or recently enrolled in an education preparation program in New York.
Educator preparation faculty are not eligible to participate in any field tests.
Current Field Test Opportunities
- NYSTCE School Building Leader Part 1 (select PTNL109 when scheduling)
- NYSTCE School Building Leader Part 2 (select PTNL110 when scheduling)
- NYSTCE French CST (select PTNY121 when scheduling)
- NYSTCE Spanish CST (select PTNY129 when scheduling)
- NYSTCE Dance (select PTNY164 when scheduling)
- NYSTCE Music (select PTNY965 when scheduling)
- NYSTCE Theater (select PTNY966 when scheduling)
- NYSTCE Visual Arts (select PTNY967 when scheduling)
Advantages of Participating
You will have the opportunity to view and respond to test items that may appear on future versions of NYSTCE exams. For the acceptable completion of a field test form, participants are offered an incentive as indicated below.
- NYSTCE School Building Leader Part 1and/or Part 2: choice of either a $100.00 NYSTCE voucher OR a $50.00 Barnes & Noble eGift card
- NYSTCE Arts and Language fields: choice of either a $100.00 NYSTCE voucher OR a $50.00 Amazon gift card
Other advantages of field test participation include:
- providing input into the test that will be taken by future educators,
- gauging professional knowledge by taking actual test items, and
- gaining practical testing experience.
The School Building Leader Part 1 field test consists of several multiple-choice questions and two constructed-response assignments.
The School Building Leader Part 2, French CST, Spanish CST, Dance, Music, Theater, and Visual Arts field tests each consist of two constructed-response assignments.
All field tests are administered during a 135-minute test session. Approximately 20 minutes of the session is dedicated to the presentation of a computer-based testing tutorial and a short survey.
Eligible participants may complete up to two (2) field test forms. The second registration can only be scheduled after the first field test session is completed (consecutive field test appointments are not available).
Field test results will be analyzed as group data only and will be kept confidential. Score information will not be provided to participants or institutions.
If you have any questions about this field test, please email NYSTCEfieldtest@pearson.com.
*Field test vouchers are only for the NYSTCE program and cannot be used for edTPA.
**Incentives will be distributed 6–8 weeks after the close of the field test window.
After you schedule a field test appointment, Pearson VUE will email you a confirmation listing your test date, your testing time, the address and phone number of your test center, and directions to the test center.
If you are unable to keep a field test appointment, please cancel at least 24 hours before the scheduled test time.